To be honest, I was never a big fan of tuna when I used to eat fish. So, for years of being vegan, I hadn’t craved anything like it. But after stumbling across chickpea ‘tuna’, I’m officially hooked.
The super simple recipe takes only a few minutes to prepare and it’s a great lunch filler for sandwiches or salads.
Chickpea tuna is also a perfect food to serve to non-vegans friends and family – they will be mighty confused, and absolutely impressed.
Vegan Chickpea 'Tuna' Recipe:
Vegan Chickpea "Tuna"
- 15 oz Chickpeas Canned or fresh
- 1 tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- .25 cup Vegan Mayo
- .5 tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- .5 tsp Salt
- .5 tsp Garlic Powder
- .5 tsp Onion Powder
- .25 cup Diced Onion
- .25 cup Spring Onion
- 1 sheet Nori Sheet
- 1. Drain Chickpeas and add them to a mixing bowl and start mashing with a fork or masher.
- 2. Add in other ingredients and mash.
- 3. This process can take a few minutes. If you want it thicker, you can leave it half-mashed so that the chickpeas are somewhat intact. Or if you want more of a tuna consistency, mash until you get a smoother texture.
- 4. Once you're happy with your desired vegan "Tuna" simply serve it on sourdough bread, in a sandwich, or in a salad.