We may have just closed the book on the year’s biggest grilling holiday, but that doesn’t mean the summer parties and BBQs are over. Chances are, you’re still on the lookout for great summer recipes to prepare for your friends and family. With hearty protein-packed tempeh and tons of veggies, these BBQ Tempeh Wraps are a big hit wherever they go. Whether it’s a casual family dinner, neighborhood potluck, or a picnic in the park, you’ll want to try these babies before summer is over!
We originally shared this recipe in our first-ever Summer Bash eBook. It’s packed with cool vegan summer dishes, along with great blogger tips and coupons for some of your favorite vegan foods. All of the recipes in the eBook, including this one, were developed by the talented vegan chef Jackie Sobon of Vegan Yack Attack.
BBQ Tempeh Wraps
- 8 oz. Package of Tempeh Chopped
- 1 C. Vegetable Broth
- 1 T. Liquid Aminos or Tamari/Soy Sauce/etc.
- ¼ C. White Onion Diced
- ¾ C. Corn Kernels Frozen will work
- ½ C. Orange Bell Pepper Diced
- ½ C. Green Onion Diced
- 1 T. Fresh Jalapeno Minced
- ½ C. Your Favorite Vegan BBQ Sauce
- 2 C. Fresh Baby Spinach or Any Other Green
- ¾ C. Tomato Diced
- 1 T. Fresh Cilantro Chopped
- Optional: Salt & Pepper to taste or a splash of Liquid Smoke
- 4 – 8” Tortillas
- Get a medium pan ready on the stove, over medium heat. Place the tempeh and vegetable broth in the pan and cover.
- Bring to a boil, and reduce the heat to low-medium. Simmer for 7 minutes covered, then take the lid off and simmer for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Drain most of the remaining liquid out of the pan, and add liquid aminos and onions to the pan. Raise the heat to medium and sauté until the onions are clear.
- Add the corn, bell pepper, green onion, and jalapeno to the pan and sauté for two minutes. Use your spoon to break the tempeh up into smaller pieces then stir in the BBQ sauce.
- Fold the spinach, tomato, and cilantro into the BBQ mixture until the spinach has wilted slightly. Add additional salt and pepper or liquid smoke as you see fit.
- Warm the tortillas (to make them more flexible) and divide the filling between the four of them. Serve warm and enjoy. This would go great with a cool coleslaw.
About our Blogger Friend, Jackie
Jackie Sobon is the chef and photographer behind the blog Vegan Yack Attack, cooking food and taking beautiful pictures of it is her passion and “Camera Eats First” is her motto. She has worked for Vegan Cuts for 3 years, photographed cookbooks for Happy Herbivore and Cupcakes & Kale, and for her own eBook, The Great Vegan Pumpkin. She has been featured on VegNews.com, KTLA, as well as many top vegan blog lists and Chickpea Magazine.