Summer Veggie Casserole made with The Vegg
When The Vegg first came out, I was extremely intrigued as to how this product may differ from other egg substitutes for vegans that are already on the market. Would it even taste like an egg? Would it achieve the slimy sticky texture that makes for good use in baking, breading, among other things? Once I started experimenting with it, it was plain to see that The Vegg makes a yolk-type mixture that is pretty dang close!
There are so many dishes from my childhood that I've vegan-ized in the past couple of years, and although they're all great (and even better because they're cruelty-free), sometimes there's just a little something missing. I feel as though The Vegg adds a depth of flavor to these mini-casseroles that you just can't get without it, plus it makes a great binder for the veggies and panko crumbs.
Summer Veggie Casserole
Serves: 2-3, Prep Time: 20 min., Cook Time: 45 min.
- 1 Cup Zucchini, Grated
- 1 Cup Button Mushrooms, Diced
- 1 Cup White Onion, Diced
- 1/2 Cup Carrot, Grated
- 1 Cup Kale, Chopped, De-ribbed, and Loosely-Packed
- 8 tsp. The Vegg Powder
- 2 Cups Water
- 1/3 tsp. Salt
- 1/4 tsp. Black Pepper
- 1 Cup Panko Crumbs, plus and extra 1/4 Cup for topping
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Press the moisture out of the shredded zucchini with a clean cloth.
- Place the zucchini, mushrooms, white onion, carrot, and kale into a large bowl, toss together with a fork.
- In a blender, puree the Vegg powder and water together on High until the consistency is even and there are no clumps.
- Pour the Vegg mixture over the veggies, season them with salt and pepper and start incorporating the panko crumbs into the veggie mixture.
- Make sure, again, that the consistency is even. Carefully place the casserole mixture into 2-3 four-inch casserole dishes, or spread it out in an 8x8" casserole dish.
- Sprinkle the remaining panko crumbs over the top and bake for 45 min. or until the veggie mixture isn't soupy or watery.
- Once it's done baking, let it cool 5-10 min. before serving.