Ready to take your vegan mac ‘n’ cheese relationship to the next level? Two words: truffle oil. This ain’t your grandma’s macaroni and cheese, but she may just love it, too. Truffle oil turns a quick meal into an easy, semi-fancy dish that you can make for date night or weekday dinner company.
Add spinach for a good measure of greens. This adds flavor and nutrients and cuts the richness of the truffle oil.
Take this recipe a step further and put it into a baking dish, top with bread crumbs and bake for a richer, fall or winter dish. Any way you prepare it, just know that this dish is so good, and definitely a crowd-pleaser.
Not ready to make it from scratch? Earth Balance’s vegan mac and cheese products are available in cheddar and white cheddar. They are as tasty as they are convenient!
Vegan Macaroni and Cheese With Truffle Oil and Spinach
- 1 tablespoon sunflower or coconut oil
- ½ cup yellow onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 8 oz. baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cups baby spinach
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 oz. box of Earth Balance White Cheddar flavor Mac & Cheese
- 6 cups water
- 4 tablespoons non-dairy milk
- 2 tablespoons Earth Balance Buttery Spread
- 1 ½ teaspoons truffle oil
- Warm the sunflower oil in a saute pan over medium heat. Once hot, add the yellow onion to the pan and saute for 2 minutes, then add garlic and saute until the onions become clear.
- Add the mushrooms to the saute pan and cook until they are soft and have reduced in size.
- While the mushrooms are cooking, bring the water to a boil in a large pot.
- Add spinach to the saute pan and cook until wilted, roughly 1-2 minutes, season with salt and pepper, then take the pan off of heat and set aside.
- Once the water is boiling, add the pasta noodles and cook for 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally. When the noodles are cooked, drain the pasta.
- Return the pasta to the pot and warm over medium heat. Add the non-dairy milk, Earth Balance Buttery Spread and the White Cheddar flavor sauce packet; stirring until the sauce is smooth and thickens slightly.
- Stir the saute into the mac and cheese, then divide between two bowls. Finish it off by drizzling the truffle oil over the two bowls and serve immediately.