We’re thrilled to be including RightRice in our May Snack Box! If you’re not familiar, RightRice (1) is a tasty grain made from lentils, chickpeas, peas + rice. It has more than double the protein, five times the fiber, and almost 40% fewer net carbs than a bowl of white rice! We have jam-packed this recipe with plant based nutrition and flavor.
An Easy-To-Follow Recipe
Adding fried chickpeas to this Mediterranean-inspired salad creates a perfect lunch that is ready in minutes. We even included a quick recipe for Vegan Tzatziki sauce to top your salad. Our Vegancuts Snack Box subscribers received the Lemon Pepper or Thai Curry Flavor – either package is perfect for this salad! Feel free to use any vegetables or herbs that inspire you.
Mediterranean Salad with Crispy Chickpeas & Vegan Tzatziki
- 1 Package RightRice Lemon Pepper or Thai Curry
- 1 1/3 Cup Vegetable Stock or Broth
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Mint
- 2 Tbsp Chopped Dill
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Can (15oz) Chickpeas Drained and rinsed, then dried with a paper towel
- Kosher Salt
- 1 Tsp Smoked Paprika
- 2 Small Persian Cucumbers Sliced
- 1/2 Red Onion Thinly sliced
- 1/2 Cup Cherry Tomatoes Sliced
Vegan Tzatziki Dressing
- 1/2 Cup Vegan Sour Cream or Unsweetened Vegan Yogurt
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 Tsp Finely Chopped Fresh Dill
- 1/2 Finely Chopped English Cucumber
- 1/4 Cup Finely Diced Red Onion
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Prepare the Right Rice according to the packaging directions, using vegetable or broth as the liquid. As it sits for 12 minutes, prepare the chickpeas. Once cooked, fluff with a fork and stir in the herbs.
- In a large nonstick frying pan, warm the olive oil over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, place the dried chickpeas in the pan, adding a pinch of salt. (If they have any moisture on them, they easily splatter, so be careful.)
- Stir the chickpeas to crisp on all sides. After 2 minutes, sprinkle the smoked paprika over the top, stir to coat, and then remove them from the pan and place on a paper-towel lined plate.
- Make the Tzatziki: Stir together or blend all ingredients – you choose your own texture adventure!
- Place ¼ of the rice in a bowl. Top with some cucumber slices, red onion slices, and cherry tomatoes. Place a dollop of Tzatziki on each bowl.
- Garnish with herb sprigs and an additional drizzling of olive oil. Pro Tip: This dish would go GREAT with vegan feta – we added crumbled tofu for a delicious topping
- RightRice: http://www.rightrice.com