Despite there being an abundance of vegan cheese substitutes on the market today, vegan Parmesan cheese has not been a subject that has been tackled with incredible success. But, now times are changing and although the texture isn’t true to pre-vegan life, the taste of Parmela is great and it goes with nearly everything! Plus, the ingredients list is short, and void of crazy chemicals and preservatives. What better a recipe to use it with than a healthy entree of Zucchini Boats?
With it’s incorporation of fresh veggies and Italian herbs, these lil’ stuffed zucchini have an extra savory dimension added to them by Parmela and are easy to make. Chickpeas dot the filling, adding some protein and creaminess while garlic fills your kitchen with its signature aroma.
Veggie-Filled Zucchini Boats
Serves: 2 as an Entree, 4 as a side
- 2-8″ Long Zucchini, Cut in half length-wise
- 1/2 tsp. Coconut Oil
- 1/2 Cup White Onion, Diced
- 1 Clove Garlic, Minced
- 1 Cup Tomatoes, Diced
- 1/2 Cup Cooked Chickpeas
- 1 Cup Mixed Greens, Packed (I used Spinach and Arugula)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. Parmela
- 1/4 tsp. Dried Italian Seasoning
- 1/4 tsp. Dried Basil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Scoop out the insides of the four zucchini halves and chop it into small pieces. Melt the coconut oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- Once the pan is hot, start sauteing the onion and garlic together until the onion starts to turn clear. Next, place the tomatoes, scooped zucchini, chickpeas, mixed greens and herbs into the pan and saute until the greens are wilted.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and get a large baking dish or sheet out.
- Add the Parmela to the mixture in the pan, and add salt and pepper to taste. Keep in mind that you want to add a little extra salt to the mixture, because when you fill the zucchini up, it will lose its potency.
- Fill the zucchini “boats” up, with equal amounts of the filling, sprinkle some extra Parmela on top and place in the baking dish.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, and serve warm.
Another great way to use Parmela is to top your favorite baked macaroni recipe with it, which would be insanely good. You can use it on a delicious homemade pizza, or even on top of a great garlic bread. Just thinking about the possibilities is making me hungry!